What the Phloque?

Friday family UNO night:
My 6-year old (has no cards to play): Sacre Bleu!
My 16-year old: (to his brother) That's a swear word you know.
Me: That's right, honey, but it's not really bad, right? What's the worst French swear word?
My 16-year old (so little brother gets confused)T-A-B-A-R-N-A-C
My husband: What?! Isn't there a bad word for female body parts?
Me: No, the French actually like women. 
My 6-year old (muttering to himself as the rest of us talk): mumble mumble...in French is phloque. Phloque. Phloque. Phloque.


My 16-year old (finally): No, it's PHOQUE.
6-year old: PHLOQUE
16-year old: PHOQUE
6-year old: PHLOQUE
16-year old: PHOQUE
Me (crying with laughter behind my UNO cards): Um, Qu'est-ce que c'est un "phoque"?
6-year old, 16-year old, 46-year old: What?! Didn't you learn that in school?! It's a Seal

BTW: I clearly missed that lesson in Miss Barron's French class and it certainly wasn't on any box of Rice Krispies I have read. Further note: my 16-year old is horrified that I spelled out t-a-b-a-r-n-a-c on my blog. 

No comments: