Tell me what it really says, WITH INTENSITY

We've all been there - perhaps in a foreign country where you don't know the language or maybe in a situation in which you are trying to help someone else who doesn't speak your language or perhaps, like me, you are just sitting around your dinner table with your smarty-pants bilingual children - it's the moment where you've uttered 3 words that are then translated into um, say, 50. In that moment, you think, what the?

I was (im)patiently grinding coffee at the local grocery store when:



Now, from #1-#3, I'm pretty cool - I've matched my "choisissez" to my "select" and my "coffee beans" to "les graines du café". I even figure out that "l'écran" must mean "screen". Not bad for a Sunday morning. 


But then, what the?! 


English #4: PRESS START SWITCH


French #4: APPUYEZ SUR L'INTERRUPTEUR DE MISE EN MARCHE



That imperative is waaaaaay too long! (and what does interrupting have to do with starting?! I ask myself, mostly)

I have it on very good authority that the French essentially translates into:
 "push the make-it-go button" 

Now THAT makes sense and now, I am going to have to take back everything I said in my last post about French being a dramatic language of love.

BTW: here's one of the funniest scenes ever about lengthy and short translations. With intensity!

No comments: